[governance] 3rd meeting of the WTPF Informal Expert Group (IEG)

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jan 24 08:09:06 EST 2013

Hi a,

On Jan 24, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ACM.ORG> wrote:

> I got accepted as on of the IEG.

Forgot to mention in the message just sent

> And that is the last I heard from the ITU.
>
> To get the full WTPF site, I think you need a TIES account.
>
> And I do not beleive it actually gains you admission to the May meeting.

No

> For that, at the moment, it still appears as if one needs to get a Government to tuck you under their wing.  I am trying to find out who in the US is willing and able to let me onto the delegation.
>
> There is, to my knowledge, no provision made for attendance by those who are neither government nor sector members.

Given the post WCIT-environment, I can't imagine they'd actually make it worse than last time.  Per some previous threads, to attend the Lisbon WTPF, one had to apply and be vetted by the secretariat, convince them that you are worthy.  If I remember correctly, the CS contingent consisted of Wolfgang, Tapani, and myself.  No right to intervention, up to the session chair, so Wolfgang asked Abdullah (the Internet governor of KSA) and was told no.  But there was a very nice moment where about 50-60 Portuguese children came marching in playing drums, samba-style.

This was an improvement on previous WTPFs where if memory serves being on a del was indeed the only option.  I attended the 1998 and 2001 WTPFs on the US del.  The latter was about the Internet telephony, and I think about 50 governments said at the time they had some restrictions or a ban in place.  One of the highlights of that meeting was a delegate from a non-democratic country pleading at the 12th hour that his editorial proposal to a piece of text be included because otherwise he couldn't go home.

Bill