[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 00:24:04 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> McTim
>
> Actually I should thank you for your email. I find it to perfectly expound
> what I call US Exceptionalism in the context of global IG.

then you should re-read it.

> You say that the US 'continues' to have a legitimate 'historic role' in the
> global governance of the Internet, which I understand to certainly mean as
> special and being different and higher than of any other country/
> government.

those are not my words.

I did not use the words legitimate or special or higher.   I have in
the past used historical however, which only reflects reality.

> However, in the next sentence you suggest that since it is difficult to
> change the status quo, it is low priority for you and many others..... Here
> you still do not explicitly say that you think it is wrong that US should
> have a higher role than other governments.

No, I didn't say it is wrong.  Nor did I say it was right.

I would like, at some point in the evolution of the process to remove
the NTIA from the root changing procedure.

 You simply casually say, it is
> difficult to change things and so.... Do you think it is easier to change
> China's authoritarian policies vis a vis the Internet, which consideration
> never seems to come in our way of criticising them and seeking change....

Have we ever sought to change or eradicate the Great Firewall?  I
don't recall that being part of any statements we have made.

> Why then this special favour to the US, is the question.

I am not granting any favours.

> (you also say that there is no alternative but to let the global Internet
> corporations be subject basically to the US jurisdiction, because in your
> view any multi-lateral alternative is worse .)

No, I did not say that either.

I did acknowledge that many large Internet companies are based in the
USA, and thus subject to US laws.  I don't think that can be denied.

> In the next para however you are rather blunt. You say that " What is wrong
> and unacceptable is the labeling of recognition of a pretty fixed reality as
> "wrong and unacceptable"! "

Yes, ignoring reality is not acceptable.

calling those who recognise said reality as "less than" is also unacceptable.

> I havent heard a clearer status quoist statement. You are telling us that 'a
> pretty fixed reality' is best to recognised as such, whereby it is useless
> to protest and seek change.

A clearer status quo statement would be that "The US governmet paid
for the early Internet and thus should continue it's role in regards
to the NTIA/IANA contract in perpetuity"

But I've never said any such thing.

 (People can actually say such things on CS lists
> which are supposed to do advocacy for political change!!)

If you want to form a political party in the USA, get hundreds of
millions of people to join and elect a majority in the House and
Senate (and a President), please do that.  I think that is rather a
long row to hoe, and so will pass on that effort.

> McTim, you have rather clearly described the politics of US exceptionalism
> and status quo-ism which is indirectly practised by many on this list .
>
> As to your comment
>
> " What is also wrong and unacceptable is the notion that those of us who
> advocate for a single unified Internet are somehow suspect. " (McTim)
>
> This is a complete red herring. I have no doubt that I am as much a
> supporter for a single unified Internet as you may be.

That was in response to Riaz "single rooter" comments.

It's not a red herring.

--
Cheers,

McTim