[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:59:32 EST 2013

This is the interpretation we make (and we are entitled to make it) when
for instance:

1. Some argue for ICANN etc to be regulated by US laws (state or
otherwise) - and that this is sufficient.

2. Others argue that legitimacy of the current structure of governance
is not an issue, and that work ought rather to be done within the
system. And that it is a none issue.

I recall that I and others were asked why the Assange issue was relevant
to Internet Governance. To respond to that, I said, well if US
Exceptionalism  (as explained above, but I will try to dig out some of
the more plum quotes on this issue when/if I have time) as defined by me
(I recall I even had to explain that I reserve the right 'to determine
the terms of the terms' of my engagement - and legitimacy is an issue)
is allowed on this list then so is interrogation of it.

And if you don't like the terms/labels, then perhaps we can look at the
discourse of how the 'single rooters' characterised the "multi-rooters"
(or break the internet brigade) which should give us an inkling of the
appropriate balance of how to determine the 'terms of the terms' of the
engagement.

And what term would you prefer? ICANN supporters, US fans, Status
Quoists, or do you find these too constricting and that every issue
should simply be qualitatively assessed?

Riaz