[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun Jan 20 06:21:40 EST 2013

Why do you persist in confusing technical issues versus purely political ones?

The single root (system of root servers under a wide range of control) setup is a result of architecture, not politics.  Alternate roots are technically not feasible, and where they do exist, they either require their small number of believers to set up a complete new set of resolvers without which the particular set of alternate roots they require won't resolve.

This scenario only works by design in say a corporate environment where internal servers are available in their private DNS servers and not resolvable over the Internet.  Were it is made to seamlessly work in the internet, as in national governments providing a different, censored view of DNS for their citizens, runs the risk of breaking DNS worldwide, as several ISPs in South America and elsewhere started getting redirected to Chinese controlled websites when they tried to access, say, google or the bbc.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174278/After_DNS_problem_Chinese_root_server_is_shut_down

I see they want to try and institutionalize their own system of alternate roots though .. as this interesting pre wcit technical proposal shows.  And you dont actually need an ietf mandate to deploy running code, so the political aspects of this are actually much more interesting, taking alt root beyond the purview of a few cranks and making it an instrument of state policy to split the internet. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/china_firewall_dns_proposal/

So when it comes to trying to bring politics into technology, civil society actors using canting terminology in petty arguments on a mailing list are actually the least of our worries.  It is when you run into people who are capable and willing to operationalize those politics that the real danger begins.

--srs (iPad)