[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 20 21:26:19 EST 2013

McTim

Actually I should thank you for your email. I find it to perfectly
expound  what I call US Exceptionalism in the context of global IG.

You say that the US /'continues'/ to have a legitimate 'historic role'
in the global governance of the Internet, which I understand to
certainly mean as special and being different and higher than of any
other country/ government.

However, in the next sentence you suggest that since it is difficult to
change the status quo, it is low priority for you and many others.....
Here you still do not explicitly say that you think it is wrong that US
should have a higher role than other governments. You simply casually
say, it is difficult to change things and so.... Do you think it is
easier to change China's authoritarian policies vis a vis the Internet,
which consideration never seems to come in our way of criticising them
and seeking change.... Why then this special favour to the US, is the
question.

(you also say that there is no alternative but to let the global
Internet corporations be subject basically to the US jurisdiction,
because in your view any multi-lateral alternative is worse .)

In the next para however you are rather blunt. You say that " What is
wrong and unacceptable is the labeling of recognition of a pretty fixed
reality as "wrong and unacceptable"! "

I havent heard a clearer status quoist statement. You are telling us
that 'a pretty fixed reality' is best to recognised as such, whereby it
is useless to protest and seek change. (People can actually say such
things on CS lists which are supposed to do advocacy for political change!!)

McTim, you have rather clearly described the politics of US
exceptionalism and status quo-ism which is indirectly practised by many
on this list .

As to your comment

" What is also wrong and unacceptable is the notion that those of us who
advocate for a single unified Internet are somehow suspect. " (McTim)

This is a complete red herring. I have no doubt that I am as much a
supporter for a single unified Internet as you may be.

parminder