[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 09:50:29 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:08 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 20 January 2013 03:00 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I don't recall support the notion of US Exceptionalism from anyone on this
> list.
>

> No one will profess that term for oneself. However, clearly it is US
> Exceptionalism being practised when:

No one on the list you mean?

> 1. anyone agrees or shows strong sympathy with the view that US has (not
> just 'had') a 'historic role' in the evolution of the Internet

this is factual, I would expect people to have strong sympathy towards it.

 (and perhaps
> in protection of its 'basic principles', whatever it may mean) and therefore
> some degree of continued pre-eminence of the US government in some key IG
> arrangements, including of the CIRs, is fine/ acceptable...

Well it is what we have and there are significant barriers to overcome
to eliminate this (US Congress for one) that makes working on this
issue very low down on the priority list for many of us.

> 2. anyone is fine with US laws/ courts/ executive/ statutory authorities
> (FCC, FTC etc) determine much of how the Internet's architecture develops,
> whether through US law/ jurisdiction’s application on the ICANN, or on most
> of the monopoly global Internet mega-corporates....

Again there is no feasible alternative (except my bitBoat or
Internetistan idea maybe).  Would you like FB, Google, Yahoo!, all the
tier 1's etc, etc to be regulated by a UN CIRP?  There is no way you
will get any significant number of nations to give up sovereignty in
this way.

> In fact, if the IGC can agree that such US exceptionalism is wrong and
> unacceptable

What is wrong and unacceptable is the labeling of recognition of a
pretty fixed reality as "wrong and unacceptable"!

What is also wrong and unacceptable is the notion that those of us who
advocate for a single unified Internet  are somehow suspect.

--
Cheers,

McTim