[governance] ISOC/USG WCIT Post Mortem

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 19 03:28:56 EST 2013

On Thursday 27 December 2012 10:34 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> <snip>
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] Are you seriously suggesting that ITU could
> become a force for global net neutrality? Well, at least you are being
> consistent. /*

Yes, I am seriously suggesting that. See my recent article in the 'The
Global Journal' on 'Safeguarding Net Neutrality'
http://theglobaljournal.net/article/view/976/ .

IF there is something called global net neutrality then one of course
needs a global forum to deal with it. What other forum than ITU can do
it? OECD?

And if you think there is nothing called 'global net neutrality' then
you may need to talk to CoE, and to Wolfgang and Bertrand, who were
members of the Experts Group that listed 'global net neutrality' as a
key cross border (real international) issue.

parminder

> */As a pro-regulatory guy, a person who seems to have never met an
> economic regulation he didn’t like,/*

In response, can I characterise you as a person who never met an
economic regulation that he liked..... where was it that you advised me
not to go for such extreme characterisations... oh, well, in the same
email in fact... So, basically you are saying you can do extreme
characterisations, but other may not do any thing that you may take
fancy to labelling as extreme characterisation.

> */you should indeed view the ITU as something not to be thrown away
> casually. /*

I think it shouldnt anything other than deal with the physical layer,
but yes, it should not be thrown away casually. I have serious belief in
global governance.

  On the other hand, those who really want to throw away ITU, should
clearly make that case and advocate it as such - plainly and hoestly.
However, I find so many, including on this list, who were so solidly
against the Internet resolution appended to the new ITRs, which merely
reasserted the activities that ITU already does in IG space and nothing
more, are now getting very energetically ready to participate in the
ITU's WTPF, which will deal with nothing other than Internet Governance.
This is a real paradox for me.

> */If only you and your friends could get ahold of it, surely it could
> become a progressive force, right? <gales of laughter>/*

Yes, may be. Governance cannot be killed just because the system is not
being worked/ manned well in current circumstances. Because if we were
to do so, almost all governments will b folded up and we can give our
societies to the big corporates to run.

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> */Anyway, tell me again why we should care about whether the ITU
> survives? That would be an interesting conversation for “we CS people”
> to have. /*

Yes, we should have that conversation here.

> <snip>
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] Here I have no idea what you are talking about –
> when did “we” (a term that generally excludes me in your lexicon but
> nevertheless strives to embrace the entire IGC) take sides on the FCC?
> And how was this struggle lost? The FCC passed its Open Internet rules
> and has actually applied them in a couple of cases. /*

The struggle is lost because the mobile Internet has been exempted from
NN rules and it is here that most of Internet growth is taking place.
Somehow the current US administration has extraordinary sensitivity to
Google's interests. Google was made on basis of a neutral Internet, but
now that it is made and further growth lies on the mobile, it doesnt
want a neutral mobile Internet. It has starting violating NN principle
on mobiles, having launched its "Google free zone' in Philippines.

parminder