[governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Jan 18 02:44:09 EST 2013

On 18/01/13 15:35, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
> I am bit worried about the definition of "multi-stakeholder model" --- which is basically defined as "we agree to can this cooperation, as long as your recognise I am responsible for and have the ultimate say in XYZ, and you are responsible for ABC." This is not cooperation, at best it is synergy.
>
> Why should not (for example) the private sector and the civil society have any say in policy? Policy is something different from politics, after all -- and in real world, both the private sector and civil society do design and implement policies of many kinds.
>
> Just asking :)

You're right of course, and this was one of the areas of compromise at
WSIS in which civil society lost ground.  WGIG had proposed a more
expansive definition of the role of civil society which included:

  * Mobilizing citizens in democratic processes.
  * Bringing perspectives of marginalized groups, including, for
    example, excluded communities and grass-roots activists.
  * Engaging in policy processes.
  * Contributing expertise, skills, experience and knowledge in a range
    of ICT policy areas.
  * Contributing to policy processes and policies that are more
    bottom-up, people-centred and inclusive.
  * Helping to ensure that political and market forces are accountable
    to the needs of all members of society.

etc (I won't recite it all, but the WGIG report is at
http://www.wgig.org/WGIG-Report.html).  The Tunis Agenda narrowed this
down, and the ITU is just reciting the narrower formulation.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational