[governance] scope of "Internet governance" (was Re: Fwd: Why do US and EU trade negotiators hate the Berne Copyright Limitations and Exceptions?)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:33:59 EST 2013

Thanks McTim.

From: McTim [mailto:dogwallah at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:03 AM
To: michael gurstein
Cc: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [governance] scope of "Internet governance" (was Re: Fwd: Why
do US and EU trade negotiators hate the Berne Copyright Limitations and
Exceptions?)

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
wrote:

I didn't mention CIRP at all and quite frankly I'm not sure what you mean by
a "CIRP-like body".

well if you are going to make FB a "Human Right", that sort of implies that
all nations have a duty to regulate FB, no?

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/is-facebook-a-human-right-egypt-and
-tunisia-transform-social-media/

[MG>] Well, I was asking a (provocative but non-trivial) question and
attempting to provide a useful answer/provoke an informed discussion. I'm
afraid that your comment above is much too much of a simplification to give
any sort of reasonable response. But if you want to go through the argument
that I was making in that blogpost in some detail I'ld be delighted to do it
with you/others.(note that there already are 12 very useful
comments/critiques on that particular post.

What I did say was that I believe there is the need to examine these matters
in the broad context of a (global) public interest. how, or what form a
response "in the public interest" might take (or for that matter who or how
that response might be determined or executed if in fact a response was
deemed necessary) I think is an open question. However, it is to my mind
precisely those kinds of issues that need to be addressed.

It will be a long and winding road to get anywhere near an effective
resolution of those questions but the issues requiring some kind of response
are coming with increasing frequency

I don't think we would agree on what needs a response and what doesn't!

[MG>] Well reasonable people disagree all the time and find ways of both
compromising and living together so I don't see that as a "deal breaker.

and in the absence of a set of responses based on collaboratively arrived at
rules and principles

One example of that already happening is GNI

http://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org/about/index.php

[MG>] yes, that's one and there are others. as for myself I would prefer
something that came out of a rather more inclusive and broadbased process
such as is currently being discussed/embarked upon through various
frameworks and entities.

There are lots of other examples as well.

[MG>] indeed

Cheers,

McTim