[governance] scope of "Internet governance" (was Re: Fwd: Why do US and EU trade negotiators hate the Berne Copyright Limitations and Exceptions?)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:03:27 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:

> I didn't mention CIRP at all and quite frankly I'm not sure what you mean
> by a "CIRP-like body"…

well if you are going to make FB a "Human Right", that sort of implies that
all nations have a duty to regulate FB, no?

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/is-facebook-a-human-right-egypt-and-tunisia-transform-social-media/

****

> ** **
>
> What I did say was that I believe there is the need to examine these
> matters in the broad context of a (global) public interest… how, or what
> form a response "in the public interest" might take (or for that matter who
> or how that response might be determined or executed if in fact a response
> was deemed necessary) I think is an open question. However, it is to my
> mind precisely those kinds of issues that need to be addressed. ****
>
> ** **
>
> It will be a long and winding road to get anywhere near an effective
> resolution of those questions but the issues requiring some kind of
> response are coming with increasing frequency

I don't think we would agree on what needs a response and what doesn't!

> and in the absence of a set of responses based on collaboratively arrived
> at rules and principles

One example of that already happening is GNI

http://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org/about/index.php

There are lots of other examples as well.

--
Cheers,

McTim