[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Sun Feb 17 20:25:15 EST 2013

Hi,

to add a voice here. It does read as somewhat paradoxal that some in this list look to narrow the definitions of "civil society worthiness" while at the same time claim to espouse diversity.

The latest version I am beginning to glean by connecting the dots is that those who acquire and share technical and factual knowledge about the object of governance may be unacceptable because they work for a company - or let it be known, actually. Others may be called unacceptable because they do not express themselves explicitly as anti-makert (for some value of "anti-market".)

So, a professor of economics who does not believe that the prievet sector and market factors may have an incidence on Internet Governance may also be found lacking in civil society credentials?

As Nick has pointed out, there are many spaces that operate policy making and governance in some or other multi-stakeholder form. The environment is but one, and particularly worthy of study, both for the similarities and the contrasts, and noen the less for its history. Multistakeholder environmental governance predates Internet governance by a few decades. Water resources, fisheries, why, even some forms of labor governance are under these optics.

I think that this particular sub-sub-sub-group of civil society may be approaching a watershed moment. Claims for ideological purity have stepped up pretty steeply.

And it may be that some people won't walk under yet one more set of Caudian forks leading to "pensee unique" of any brand.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org