[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Feb 16 22:13:19 EST 2013

That term progressive, in the 'right' hands seems to produce, as
parminder himself says, a distrust of multistakeholder processes, and I
personally can't think of anything more regressive.

So please, I know where the term originally came from, but avoiding
repurposing a much older English word to mean something entirely
different would be a very good thing indeed.

Has it ever been considered that the opposition to this brand of
politics (a focus on control of words, terms and if possible governance
structures) as opposed to policy, comes more from people who work on
the ground, hands on, in multistakeholder groups on whatever cause?

In such a case, it may then be quite arguable which side is actually
representing public interest, or whether there can be one true
perception of such interest on more nuanced topics. So, that test fails
if you try to seek positive proof, rather than 'negative'

--srs (htc one x)