[governance] Results of IGC Charter Amendment Poll

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Feb 16 14:56:17 EST 2013

Hi,

Ian, I really really want to agree with you.

Unfortunately Adam is right, we don't want to set a precedent for the rerunning of a vote whenever we don't get the vote we want.  People might not be voting because they don't care or even because they don't agree.

I think that if the IGC wishes to re-vote, it should be able to decide to do so.  I think calling for a discussion on that and perhaps the substance of the amendment might be a better process to go through.  And if we do go to vote again, we should plan on a longer period and should work with the co-cordinators to make sure we get out enough votes.  I am not even sure most of the voters understood the quorum requirement.

Had the co-cordinators decided to lengthen the ballot before knowing the vote because they saw we were not reaching 'quorum,' I would have applauded their attention to the details and supported the lengthened call.  Since that did not happen, I really do not support continuing the vote, though I do think it is reasonable to discuss a re-vote in the IGC, see if there is consensus on a re-vote and open up the proposed amendment for more discussion.  For myself, I know in my vote there was one amendment I did not understand well enough to be  either for or against.  Perhaps I am not alone.

avri

On 16 Feb 2013, at 14:35, Ian Peter wrote:

> sorry if my last message wasn't clear - I am in favour of counting the existing votes as valid, and just looking to boost the numbers of votes count, rather than running the whole process again.
>
> Ian
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Adam Peake
> Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:27 AM
> To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org ; Ian Peter
> Cc: Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
> Subject: Re: [governance] Results of IGC Charter Amendment Poll
>
> Agree it would be helpful to know how many votes.
>
> But before re-doing the vote (how many times, until 'we' get the
> result we want?), could we have the amendments presented again.  With
> time for discussion, and then see if again there is support to hold a
> vote.
>
> Adam
>

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sala,
>>
>> How many votes short are we of a positive result?
>>
>> That would determine perhaps the best way to go.
>>
>> In this case I dont think there is any great risk in re-opening the vote to
>> get extra responses. The results in each ballot are clearly in favour of the
>> reforms, the will of the caucus seems clear, it’s just a technicality that
>> we have not had enough responses. (I would feel differently if on any of the
>> ballots the no votes were roughly equivalent to the yes votes)
>>
>> So I would suggest re-opening the ballot to allow those who havent voted to
>> do so – accompanied by encouragement and reminders.
>>
>> Ian

>>> Suva