[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Feb 16 11:25:58 EST 2013

In message
<13ce371151b.2728.4f968dcf8ecd56c9cb8acab6370fcfe0 at hserus.net>, at
20:08:31 on Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>
writes
>Both resolve only to an IP address, which despite working party 19
>claims should not be considered personal data

It's not about 100% unambiguous personal data, it's finding the
perpetrator.

Most are what we call "loners", so an IP address is often sufficient,
although in practice knowing the real name behind a social media account
is usually good enough (when people set up the account, or their WHOIS,
they generally didn't realise they should lie about their name, address,
phone number etc just in case they became a fugitive later).

And the ones who aren't "loners" may also narrow the suspects down to
(eg) a household with a man and wife and their 5 year old child. At that
point it's usually obvious which of them is the perpetrator.

ps IP Addresses are often enough personal data that all processing of
them should be *treated as if* they are personal data. In other words,
protected by law (with relevant exceptions for prosecuting offenders)
even when it turns out they are ambiguous.

--
Roland Perry