[governance] Communication Challenges [Brainstorming]

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Fri Feb 15 12:30:23 EST 2013

Michael,

>I suggest that we include Daniel Pimienta in this discussion
I do follow some of the exchanges in the list. Not all of them :-)
but I did with his one.

>Daniel has devoted a very considerable amount of time and skill to dealing
>with precisely this issue. I'm not clear what the state of the art is but
>I'm sure he could tell us.
Certainly.

The state of the art as of today and as of Funredes progresses, (and
of course limited to "as of my knowledge")
is a platform we have developped for imbedding "aid to mutual
linguistic inter-comprehension" in a communication system.

We have been using it in 6 projects so far and since 2008  (including
a first experiment with an FP7 EU project),
and try to keep improving it. We have also set a demo platform in
http://demogoodle.funredes.org/
to show the impressive power of translating automatically 60
languages with one keystroke.

We have called it "Goodle"' as the design is to use Moodle as the
basic platform with the addition by ourselves of  2 functions :
1) moderation (which curiously Moodle does not have)
2) automatic interface to the Google API (which is no more free)  to
obtain automatic translation in a possible list of some 60 languages.

Why moderation?
It is not a must, but, in a closed profesional virtual community, if
you really desire quality in translation,
this is the best option. The moderator will obviously not interfere
with communication (beyond the accepted charter)
but correcting typos, putting upper cases where they belong and
adding appropriate signs of punctuations, and,
as a limit case, cutting long sentences into several ones, will boost
the quality of translation in an impressive factor
moving from laughable translations into close to human translation in
80% of the cases (but always remember this is
NOT translation but only an aid to inter-comprehension).
Using web interface with automatic syntax detection will make the job
not to harsh and it is worth the effort.
Eventually we could imaginate a version with those functions imbedded
(although a human eye is proner to avoid mistaken decisions).

Why Moodle?
Because it combines the best of two worlds.
The reception is made as an email with links to the platform in a
very structured manner.
The writing is made on the web platform.
One huge benefit is that it kills the headache of leaving all the
threaded messages and offer a clean "ecological" management of communication.

I will answer any question you have beyond this basic description.

Meanwhile who is curious can browse http://cardicis.funredes.org  as
a real life example
and read the GUIDE FOR AID TO LINGUISTIC INTERCOMPREHENSION
in http://cardicis.funredes.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=124.
Although the experience has shown that very few are the persons (like
Deirdre) willing to make the effort to write with the
respect to translation in mind (and too often the ones who laugh at
ugly software translations are the first responsibles, by
their neglected communication, of the bad results!).

Daniel

believed to be clean.