[governance] Part A Re: [] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 13 12:59:52 EST 2013

On 13 Feb 2013, at 12:22, Fouad Bajwa wrote:

> The MAG does not have the mandate to choose or outright reject
> anything that is recommended by the WG-IGF.

TYhat is exactly my point.  Of course the IGF has the right to reject the commands of the UN.

It certainly must honor them by considering them.  But I see no obligation for a freestanding IGF to accept them without question.

I disagree about the extent to which the WG-IGF was multistakeholder, but that is irrelevant.  It was an outside body that does not have hard oversight over the IGF.  We are an independent bottom-up organization, not a UN vassal.

So while the UN should be honored and its view considered along with al other views, it cannot be allowed to command.

avri