[governance] Part A Re: [] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:22:55 EST 2013

The MAG does not have the mandate to choose or outright reject
anything that is recommended by the WG-IGF.

In my personal view, the suggested text by Norbert is very well IGC's
perspective and does not need any alterations. The objections or
disagreement put forward do not, from my personal observation,
represent the Geneva and Tunis agreements and perspectives that
developing countries hold. I do not see where we from the developing
world have diverted from the WGIGF politic and why would some new view
to deal with things suddenly emerge and suddenly IGC would have a
totally different view on a multistakeholder led process.

MAG itself cannot implement anything. It is a programming MSG led
process that helps program the UNSG convene the IGF. It assists the
UNSG, does not take UN related decisions or etc. The mandate is to the
UNSG and from what we clearly know, the CSTD WG-IGF made
recommendations that through the UNSG, UNDESA and the IGF have to be
incorporated. These recommendations do not give the MAG some kind of
supreme power to move from an institutional form to an instrumental
form.

If there is something that we want to immediately see, is that, to
implement the recommendations of Working Group on IGF Improvements
(WG-IGF), period. If IGC can continue to raise this and encourage
this, we will do great benefit to the IGF proces. IGC should not
divert from what its member worked in the CSTD to do. IGC members of
the WG-IGF helped bring in the IGC perspective into the WG-IGF and we
should push for having all those recommendations that did reach the
final Chair's report as WG-IGF recommendations to be implemented as
soon as possible.

Best

Fouad