[governance] All power should be in the hands of the engineers? (was Re: HLLM in LOndon - CS reps)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 06:41:46 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> In relation to Jean-Christophe's posting quoted below...
>
> Those remarks of Alejandro Pisanty (who by the way is not only Chair of
> ISOC Mexico, but also definitely an influential person in the global
> technical community, for example he has served three terms as an ICANN
> board member, and he is currently on ISOC's Board of Trustees)

and a member of this list (at least formerly and perhaps currently as
a lurker) and therefore part of CS.

are at
> minutes 50:00-57:00 in this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOfsC2n_lQ
>
> Although the agenda that he is promoting is absolutely shocking when
> looked at from any mainstream civil society perspective

What exactly is shocking?

 (in the sense
> of what is mainstream among civil society movements in general, if we
> look beyond the community of those who specialize on Internet
> governance), what he is saying is unfortunately an influential view
> among many technical people.
>
> In effect, he's saying that all power should be in the hands of the
> engineers and by implication in the hands of the companies for which
> they're working

He didn't say that at all.  Listen to it again maybe?

, and he is promoting the use of smoke screen tactics
> that aim at preventing anyone else from gaining an effective influence.
>
> Civil society absolutely needs to find a good way to deal with this
> kind of tactics.
>
> These tactics have been successfully used *within* civil society
> networks such as the IGC with the aim of preventing IGC from being an
> effective civil society voice

So voicing a truly held opinion is a "tactic"?  Your inability to
accept diversity of opinion is showing (again).

again in the sense of what is mainstream
> among civil society movements in general, looking beyond the community
> of those who specialize on Internet governance).
>
> If IGC in its current incarnation is not capable of dealing with this
> challenge effectively, we need to create an IGC v2 that has that
> capability.

It is called Best Bits I think or maybe 1Net, the jury us still out on both.

--
Cheers,

McTim