[governance] RE: [bestbits] What is 1Net? Blog post by Paul Wilson of APNIC

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 15:29:41 EST 2013

This was a very interesting exhange. It's a pity that we are so scattered
in different lists, that the dialogue about similar issues is becoming
broken in parallel tracks. Milton, I have two doubts:

> Two possible roles.
>
>  1. One would be to provide a generic legal framework (e.g.,
> incorporation law for nonprofits or INGOs). With that in place governments
> can simply formally recognize a non-state MS process as authoritative in
> its domain and then stay out of it.

In your view, what would be the domains or the thematic areas suitable for
that? In addition, would there be a space for governmental frameworks that
do not only aim to "organize" the scenario, but also to provide substantive
guidelines, or general principles on the public interest? My question would
be if governments would still be able to occasionally intervene when
problems arise, such as deviation from public interest, monopolies,
unjustifiable asymmetries, etc

>  2. Govts can also be 'stakeholders' and participate as 'stakeholders'
> but only if they abandon the pretense of being a unitary actor,
> disaggregate their representation, and allow any and every agency to pursue
> its organizational self-interest in an open MS process.

Every governmental agency or department? What about the coherence that
governments must strive to pursuit? Ideally, the "best position" comes
after counterposing different positions of different Ministers. In your
proposal, we would disregard the important of this internal dialogue. So
then? Internal Ministers would do foreign policy? What if gov end up moving
completely different agendas in different bodies, depending on which
department is participating? How to ensure a stable regime?

I thought at first that you were talking about disaggregating State's
internal stakeholder groups - ex: having national CS, business
participating in their capacity, more or less like ILO, but with bottom-up
choice of representatives.  The problem is what is "national" business or
CS?

MarĂ­lia

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*MarĂ­lia Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

Researcher and Coordinator
Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate
www.diplomacy.edu