[governance] Fwd: [At-Large] The Internet as we know it is dead

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 18:00:29 EDT 2013

Exactly, Norbert.

*MM: I would have to reject the way you presume that the society = the
state.
*

When I said state (and their societies) there was no assumption (nor any
equation) that those societies can only speak through the voice of the
State.

*MM: I also would have to question your assumption that "asymmetries" (not
entirely clear what you mean by this, but I assume you mean inequalities)
are overcome or mitigated via the existence of states.
*
Again, no assumption. Asymmetries (inequalities being just a form of them)
are generally overcome by public policy (foreign policy, be it autocratic
or multistakeholder or whatever). Which tends to be fragmented and very
conflictive according to several factors (power struggles, social and
economic injustices, etc., etc. etc., which tend to divide social actors
according to many other different lines).  Which leads us to the point of
agreement: tough stuff to overcome. But once again: no sort of assumption
here. Only a bit of skepticism related to the idea of giving social justice
a secondary place.

Best wishes
Diego