[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 23 23:47:20 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 08:46 AM, McTim wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 24 April 2013 07:54 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
>>
>> I like new text as suggested by Parminder as well – but one quibble
>>
>> “due democratic processes”. That sounds to me like something governments do
>> without consultation.
>>
>> I would prefer multistakeholder processes. But as that means whatever people
>> want it to mean, and may not be acceptable to everyone. Perhaps something
>> like
>>
>> “through processes involving all stakeholder groups” might be a middle
>> ground.
>>

>> What about "through democratic processes involving all stakeholder groups".
> I would be ok with that if we included:
>
> "through open, bottom-up, transparent, participatory democratic
> processes involving all stakeholders".

what about "democratic processes, that are open and transparent, and
involve all stakeholders. (also taking note of an offline suggestion in
this regard). Also adding 'end to end'.

The text would then be

*"We recognise the Internet to be a global, end-to-end, network of
networks comprised of computing devices and processes, and an emergent
and emerging social reality. In that sense, it is an intricate
combination of hardware, software, protocols, and human intentionality
enabling new kinds of social interactions and transactions, brought
together by a common set of design principles. The design principles and
policies that constitute Internet's governance should be derived through
due democratic processes, that are open and transparent, and involve all
stakeholders. Such principles and policies must aim at preserving and
enhancing the global commons and global public good character of the
Internet the combination of which has made previous innovations
possible. Therefore, in the face of the growing danger for the Internet
experience to be reduced to closed or proprietary online spaces, we urge
the preservation and enhancement of the Internet's global commons and
public good dimensions."

parminder *