[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 23:16:37 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 April 2013 07:54 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
>
> I like new text as suggested by Parminder as well – but one quibble
>
> “due democratic processes”. That sounds to me like something governments do
> without consultation.
>
> I would prefer multistakeholder processes. But as that means whatever people
> want it to mean, and may not be acceptable to everyone. Perhaps something
> like
>
> “through processes involving all stakeholder groups” might be a middle
> ground.
>

> What about "through democratic processes involving all stakeholder groups".

I would be ok with that if we included:

"through open, bottom-up, transparent, participatory democratic
processes involving all stakeholders".

Wasn't it you Parminder who put in the "due democratic processes"
language in the first place? Perhaps I am misremembering.

I'm still choking on the new reality bit however.

MM is correct in that "success of the  internet rests on a creative
combination of both", so we should include end-toendiness somehow.

--
Cheers,

McTim