[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 23 21:34:49 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 05:32 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
> [...]

(Parminder) Agree. It should instead be '....policies, that should be
established by due democratic prcoess". BTW, thanks for both of you for
confirming that historically there is no due democratic process :)

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> *The design principles and policies that constitute its governance
> ensure its stability, functionality and security, and aim at
> preserving and enhancing the global commons and global public good
> character of the Internet the combination of which has made previous
> innovations possible. Therefore, in the face of the growing danger for
> the Internet experience to be reduced to closed or ***
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] yes, but they are also, and should be also, aim
> at preserving and enhancing the private good aspects of the Internet.
> As the success of the  internet rests on a creative combination of
> both, why are we emphasizing only one aspect of this? /*

(Parminder).

> */IP. It is not secure, and I believe its functionality is somewhat
> basic. I’d go straight to  the global commons stuff and skip the first
> part./*

(Parminder) Agree.

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> *proprietary online spaces, we urge that the preservation and
> enhancement of the Internet's global commons and public good dimensions***
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] what are these dimensions? Why not specify them?
> Why not also recognize that we should not interfere with the
> innovation and creativity that has come from affording entrepreneurs
> and individuals to experiment and innovate with new private services? /*

(Parminder) Becuase we are not aiming at completeness of a definition
here, but making a core advocacy principle/ statement for the Caucus
stating which direction  and side in the current evolution of the
Internet the caucus will like to weight on. And isnt private property
being over 'protected' already - which as the last line says 'is the
problem', See for instance the one global 'Principles on Internet policy
making' <www.oecd.org/dataoecd/40/21/48289796.pdf>that authoritatively
exist today, those developed by the OECD. The document was criticised by
civil society for its intellectual property (IP) focus The document
lists its policy objectives as "the protection of privacy, security,
children online, and intellectual property, as well as the reinforcement
of trust in the Internet " . There is no mention of any egalitarian
political economy objective, which  of course is understandable coming
from a club of the richest countries. IP is mentioned 15 times in the
document and commons/ public goods (and we are assuming some such
character of the Internet does exist) not once.

Also, we now have IETF seeking to issue an RFC focussing on the market
but not commons aspect of the Internet as primary. Even W3C is coming up
with an HTML extension standard specification that caters to the demands
of IP owner for greater IP protection.....

One simply thinks that more than enough is happening on the private/
property side and hardly anything on the commons/ public side. In the
circumstances, it is for a civil society group to step in as we are
trying to do to emphasize the commons/ public gods side of the Internet
and the need to protect and foster it.

I would also appeal to others who think that such a statement on
commons/ public goods nature of the Internet should be adopted by the
caucus as a basic advocacy principle, inter alia to preface our
submissions to various bodies, may chip in at this stage. Of course also
those who have different views are welcome to speak up. But let us close
it one way or the other. Thanks Riaz for bringing this back to the
group's attention.

parminder