[governance] more ICANN stuff

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Apr 21 09:58:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

And while talking about ICANN:

Other ways to get involved other than volunteering to become a volunteer policy worker responding to public comments.

There are always open public comment periods going on about all kinds of issues.
These can be found at:  http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment

Especially interesting at this point is the open comment on the Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT) comment period that is collecting the issues and questions that must be reviewed this year.  If there is something you think we need to be looking at in terms of ICANN Accountability and Transparency, now is the time to put it on the table.

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/atrt2-02apr13-en.htm

For those who don't know how the ICANN open comments work:

- the comment period - opne for 21 days of more for comments from anyone, anywhere on the issues in the report.
- the reply period, if there are comments, another period of at least 21 days that gives people a chance to comment of previous comments.
- the comments and replies are then synthesized into a report by the ICANN staff and then are taken as input by the committee or WG working on the issues.  Standards are evolving on how not only to take these into account but how to show it has been done; in general they are taken seriously.

The reply period was instituted, I beleive, so that people could not sneak comments in at the mast moment and thus go unchallenged.

As a member of this year's ATRT, I think it would be good to see some input from the people on this list on these subjects.  The Accountability and Transparency review happens every 3 years as part of the Affirmation of Commitments process.

avri