[governance] RE: [IP] re GE claims 'Industrial Internet' Bolsters Critical Infrastructure Security

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 10:44:54 EDT 2013

From: Doc Searls <doc at searls.com>
Subject: Re: [IP] GE claims 'Industrial Internet' Bolsters Critical
Infrastructure Security
Date: April 21, 2013 10:03:58 AM EDT
To: dave at farber.net

SWIFT <http://www.swift.com/>, the global system for transferring $trillions
per day, runs a worldwide network of its own, and brags about how it stays
up through all kinds of troubles, citing for example its persistence through
the 9/11/2001 attack in New York. I don't know if uses Internet protocols,
but I believe it does qualify as a highly hardened "parallel" system.

It differs from GE's, however, in not having an adjectival name with
"Internet" as its noun. Far as I know, SWIFT's network is operated for its
own purposes, alone.

GE's "Industrial Internet" <http://www.ge-ip.com/industrial-internet> is -
at least at the PR level - short on facts and long on what appears to be the
shunting of industrial-grade requirements into GE's own private walled
"canals" through the open Net. I'd be curious to know if it is other than a
wish on their part to fork the Net into a public and a private branch, in
which they have, in effect, the first private one. (Are there others,
already, called "_______ Internet"?)

The Internet is "inter," of course, and one of the connected nets could be
GE's new industrial one. But calling that one another Internet, with its own
qualifying adjective, offends the meaning of Internet as a noun.

So I would hope that those of us who value both the Internet's openness and
its original meaning will urge GE to re-name the offering, without the term
"Internet."

To sum up: there is nothing wrong with GE renting out its own private
"industrial grade" network. Just with calling it a branch of the Internet
itself.

IMHO on a Sunday morning, anyway.

Doc

On Apr 20, 2013, at 6:39 PM, "DAVID J. FARBER" <farber at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren at vortex.com>
> Subject: [ NNSquad ] GE claims 'Industrial Internet' Bolsters Critical
Infrastructure Security
> Date: April 20, 2013 4:46:20 PM EDT
> To: nnsquad at nnsquad.org
>

> GE claims 'Industrial Internet' Bolsters Critical Infrastructure Security
>
> http://j.mp/12vURRU  (eWeek)
>
>  General Electric has introduced something it calls the "Industrial
>  Internet," which is a communications environment aimed at
>  infrastructure companies that exists in parallel with the public
>  Internet. But it doesn't rely on the public Web for mission critical
>  needs.
>
> - - -
>
> Maintaining true compartmentalization of such "parallel networks" is
> in reality very difficult, even in military environments. Networking
> history is replete with examples of how reliance on this technique can
> go wrong.
>
> --Lauren--
> Lauren Weinstein (lauren at vortex.com): http://www.vortex.com/lauren

11E2-ABB5-BC23367AC9F6

7c5b007&post_id=20130421100634:AAABC4F6-AA8C-11E2-92B5-B5C68B89C8A3