[governance] Web payments

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:33:01 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
> Yes, this is a good sign that a significant amount of money is being
> transacted via mobile, but this does not imply a corresponding significant
> amount of people are doing so.

http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2013/03/14/mobile-money-users-overtake-traditional-bank-accounts/

"Transactions carried out through mobile financial services (MFS)
totalled UGX11.7 trillion (USD4.374 billion) in 2012, up from UGX3.75
trillion in 2011, the Daily Monitor quotes the deputy governor of the
Bank of Uganda as saying. The number of wireless subscribers using the
services increased to an estimated 8.9 million from 2.8 million,
tapping into Uganda’s large unbanked population and surpassing the
number of traditional bank accounts, of which there are around 3.6
million. Despite concerns regarding MFS-related fraud, South
African-backed cellco MTN Uganda claimed to have 3.5 million active
mobile money users at end-2012 which accounted for 20 million
transactions over the course of the year."

> All this to keep in mind that mobile is not a magic wand which will solve
> all connectivity issues and will be the answer to true universal broadband
> access

never said it was.  However one can't dispute that mobile connectivity
has connected hundreds of millions of folk, despite the limitations.

--
Cheers,

McTim