[governance] Web payments

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:17:42 EDT 2013

No question McTim mobiles and mobile money is having a huge and widespread
(and increasing) impact in Sub-Saharan Africa and among the poor globally
(Bangladesh is particularly interesting here because of the competition
driven very very low cost of mobile service).

And various sources of research including the World Bank are providing us
with reams of data on how that is being accomplished.  However, in some
recent research I've been doing in Sub-Saharan Africa I've been finding that
the distribution of mobile service (and of course, associated with that
would be mobile money) is highly highly skewed towards the urban and away
from the rural as an example; and the actual use/accessibility of mobiles is
locally very dependent on the cost of actual service which as Carlos Afonso
noted, is in turn very much dependent on local circumstances (degree of
competition among carriers for example).

As I already mentioned two SSA countries--South Africa because of historical
circumstances with respect to national telecom infrastructures and Kenya (I
think largely because of local political/historical regulatory circumstances
and because the various donors particularly the World Bank have chosen it as
the "poster child", but on this I could be wrong) have much broader
distribution of access into rural areas, but at least in South Africa the
actual distribution/use of service is similarly highly skewed between richer
and poorer because of extremely high (though decreasing) service costs. (I'm
not directly familiar with the service/costing situation in Kenya although I
have seen anecdotal information that the situation there is similar--as
referred to in my blogpost referencing Kibera).

It is in part a glass half full/half empty situation, but my original cavil
was that while it is extremely easy to get access to the information you
(and Adam for example) are quoting including or especially from the World
Bank it seems much much more difficult to get information on the half empty
glass i.e. service among the unserviced--those rural areas, the very poor,
those in high cost service areas and so on.  Making global (or national)
public policy solely to benefit/enable the interests/activities of the half
full group which seems to be the overall direction of those currently
concerned with these matters should I think, be something for the marketers
and the service suppliers and not something for example, for CS. (I looked
in vain for detailed information on the currently unserviced in SSA but
could find none in the midst of the stacks of World Bank reports on the
latest "apps" and services for the serviced e.g. mPesa (of course, I may
have missed something so if anyone has anything current on actual service
distribution both infrastructure access/and actual use in SSA I would be
most sincerely grateful). In this regard the more or less complete absence
of any attention being paid to the non-serviced at the recent WSIS +10 is
particularly indicative I believe.
http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/making-happytalk-in-paris-disneylan
d-and-the-wsis-10-review/

And yes, among the desireable policy initiatives those concerned with these
issues should be promoting, is increased competition in areas where that is
not currently active (cf. Carlos Afonso's discussion of Brazil) but also,
recognizing that in many  instances there may be no "business case" for
providing services, and particularly in situations of oligopoly (as in many
parts of SSA) and there is a need for active policy/programme intervention
by whoever is able, to ensure that some degree of access (to the benefits of
mobiles/the Internet including to online banking service) is universally
available.

Mike