[governance] Web payments

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Apr 17 08:11:27 EDT 2013

Yes, this is a good sign that a significant amount of money is being
transacted via mobile, but this does not imply a corresponding
significant amount of people are doing so.

All this to keep in mind that mobile is not a magic wand which will
solve all connectivity issues and will be the answer to true universal
broadband access -- as the telecom cartel in Brazil for instance tries
to sell us, and unfortunately the Ministry of Communications endorses.
According to them, more than 70% of the people in Brazil are on the
Internet just because they have phones *capable* of connecting to the
Net (but less than 20% are connected via real broadband).

--c.a.