[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Apr 16 02:47:01 EDT 2013

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am afraid to see your response in the borderline bullying and a real
> ad-hominem in this case. unfortunately this latin locution become the
> new godwin point of IGC list.

Please don't attempt to turn a key term in a guideline for constructive
discourse into a word which which can't be used in practice because it
is would be considered a "godwin point".

Without wanting to take away or diminish the recommendation that I've
given on avoiding ad hominem remarks, let me quote another very good
recommendation:

  "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"

(This particular wording may have originated in RFC 1122 [1], where the
principle is attributed to an earlier RFC edited by Jon Postel; in that
earlier RFC however the principle was worded differently.)
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122

Greetings,
Norbert