[governance] 3322.org seized by Microsoft from Chinese DNS service provider

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Mon Sep 24 20:37:29 EDT 2012

I think this section of the paper says it all:

DNS filters would be evaded easily, and would likely prove ineffective at reducing online infringement.

Unless the filtering is done at the root it is trivial to evade. Filtering at the IANA root level would introduce a lot of complexity that would definitely have some technical and political hurdles to overcome. It is obviously being done in some countries but it is usually easily worked around. The only effective filtering that is hard to work around is IP address filtering. DNS is so resilient it's hard to enforce filters. In any case as DPI becomes easy and cheaper repressive regimes will probably want to allow access so they can monitor users rather than block them. I think DPI and MITM attacks are a much bigger threat than DNS filtering. This doesn't mean I'm OK with DNS filtering. I think even "benign" filtering like openDNS is wrong.

Kerry Brown