[governance] 3322.org seized by Microsoft from Chinese DNS service provider

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Sep 25 00:58:16 EDT 2012

On Sep 25, 2012, at 3:23 AM, "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Kerry Brown <kerry at kdbsystems.com> wrote:
> My understanding is they redirected "took control" of several subdomains of the second level domain 3322.org. This would make them third level domains. I agree that theoretically the US courts could try to compel ICANN to do something like this at the root level. I don't think that would happen for reasons both technical and political. I could very well be wrong.
>
> Kerry Brown
>
> That in itself would threaten the security and stability of the Internet.

According to whois, the domain 3322.org is resolved by two servers, apparently property of Microsoft. It seems that Microsoft has cloned the 3322.org zone and is selectively editing out any subdomain they do not like. So much about 'sophisticated' technology.

Such ideas and even provisions exist with TLDs. gTLDs are contractually obliged to provide their zone data (and more) to ICANN or "trusted third party". While not contractually obliged to do so, I believe many ccTLDs are subject to the same policy (even worse, data is copied without their consent). The general idea is that ICANN should be able to "restore the service" if the TLD operator fails. Not much different than what happened with 3322.org, if you think of it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Daniel