[governance] 3322.org seized by Microsoft from Chinese DNS service provider

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Sep 24 02:53:58 EDT 2012

On 24.09.12 09:30, Chaitanya Dhareshwar wrote:
> Further if there was a pre-loaded malware chances are windows
> firewall/defender would have been patched to prevent detection of the
> same - or maybe even removed altogether.

I stand corrected on this part, but then it is indeed curious why
Microsoft would react this way. It seems that even although the
computers in question might not have come with "genuine" Microsoft OS,
they do present threat to other Windows computers.

Here, again, the fault is with Microsoft. Microsoft insists in their OEM
agreement, that builders of PCs with Windows pre-installed do not
install it from the original media, but use the OEM Preinstallation Kit
instead. The OPK builds a new installation DVD media, containing Windows
+ your additions, from which you must install the PC. If you install the
customer's PC directly from the Windows DVD media, Microsoft claims, the
customer copy is not properly licensed. Weird!

So I could imagine the vendor's administrative workstation, where OPK is
being used might well have been infected with this malware. This whole
story might have been saved if Microsoft's OEM agreement was different.
But it is not, because for "direct installation" they sell the same DVD
are much higher price. There is hope they have revised this attitude
with Windows 8.

>  Very likely the OS installed on those 'pre-loaded PCs' would have
> been pirated - if it was, MS would technically have no obligation to
> support them in any manner.

As far as I understand, Microsoft's problem was not those "pirated"
Windows computers in China, but the fact that other Windows computers
all around the world were being infected and joining the botnet.

>  Yes the move to grab the domain was hugely unprecedented, unexpected,
> and a very bold move even for MS. Why would they waste their time with
> un-licensed PCs that were pre-compromised? I think there's a larger
> threat here that's not being made public knowledge. Not a conspiracy -
> just that details are too sketchy and the move too bold for this to be
> very minor.

Short version: Microsoft saving face.

By the way this is not the first time Microsoft engages in such
activity. They have had a number of cases, some involving the takedown
of huge number of domains in ccTLDs all over the world. All in order to
stop a botnet infecting computers running Windows.

Daniel