[governance] 3322.org seized by Microsoft from Chinese DNS service provider

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Mon Sep 24 09:06:09 EDT 2012

> This is an perfect example of abusing market share. In this case, the victims
> computers were infected because of flaws in the software supplied by
> Microsoft.

Actually most computers are infected through social engineering and/or flaws in Adobe Flash, Reader, and Oracle Java. The underlying OS is becoming less relevant. An argument could be made that Windows 7 is currently the most secure of all the popular desktop OS's, at least until you start adding 3rd party software.

In any case the rationale behind why Microsoft did this isn't important to the debate over if what they did is right or wrong. The end result was good for the Internet. Is that enough to justify what they did? Personally I'm torn. I applaud Microsoft for taking down some criminals, even if only temporarily. At the same time the issue of who has jurisdiction over a gTLD is a vexing question for which I have no answers. I think some successful gTLDs in jurisdictions other than the US may over time solve the problem. Consumers will have a choice of which jurisdiction they want their domain to fall under. They have that now with ccTLDs but more choice is always better.

Kerry Brown