[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Sep 19 11:57:02 EDT 2012

On 19.09.12 18:21, David Conrad wrote:
> My impression, looking at news reports on the background of how the
> video became such an item of note, is that the creators/distributors
> of the video knew what the implications of creating/releasing the
> video would be and, in fact, were counting on the over-reaction in
> order to put the Muslim world in a bad light. The instigators of the
> rioting (TV personalities and politicians) and the people rioting
> played directly into the desires of the video's creators/distributors.

Good observation.

This reminds me of the time the "Eastern block failed". The quote are
here, because this is not what happened in reality.
But, at the time it turned out there are large scientific units in the
US and elsewhere that were working in the field of "behavioral sciences"
-- that more or less had country-specific, community-specific and even
religion-specific (not to say, history-related) studies, that suggested
how the particular community may be manipulated to react to an otherwise
innocent provocation. Including appropriate wording...

It all worked amazingly well in some societies and failed in some
others. Most people, who were subject to that.. "scientific experiment",
didn't even realize it actually happened.

The question still remains. Who ordered this? I have the probably
unpopular suspicion that it was those regimes that didn't like much the
Arab spring outcome. What better way to suppress freedom voices, than to
create an (religious in this case) enemy and ask everyone to be united...

Daniel