[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Sep 19 11:21:01 EDT 2012

Faisal,

On Sep 19, 2012, at 3:44 AM, Faisal Hasan <hasansf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lack of education is one of the reasons why some people donot understand the seriousness / implication of a small clip that can wound millions of people around the world.

This seems reversed to me.

My impression, looking at news reports on the background of how the video became such an item of note, is that the creators/distributors of the video knew what the implications of creating/releasing the video would be and, in fact, were counting on the over-reaction in order to put the Muslim world in a bad light.  The instigators of the rioting (TV personalities and politicians) and the people rioting played directly into the desires of the video's creators/distributors.

There are a lot of crazy people out there who are going to do bad things on purpose, regardless of their education.  Given the Internet allows pretty much anyone to be a content producer, regardless of their sanity or intent, I would think it important to educate everyone else that there are people who, for whatever reason, will say things that you don't like, you will find offensive, etc., but the correct response is _never_ violence and not to assume it is, as one commentator in Egypt said, "100% the US" (or whatever).

Regards,
-drc