[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Faisal Hasan hasansf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 06:44:49 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. What is said must be carefully said - if it's likely to hurt the
> > sentiments of the masses ("perceived compliance") something should be
> > done to prevent that hurt sentiment - strongest being censorship (but
> > what other measures could be used? - as Riaz said  'Reasonable'
> > measures)
>
> One measure which IMO is eminently reasonable and should be used more
> is: Specific education on the issues related to media literacy and
> influencing the future of humanity in the globalized world.
>
> On one hand, such education is obviously lacking in Western countries.
> In fact I think that a key aspect of what leads to the making of such
> films is that the people who created it (and also their friends and
> other people in their social circles who knew about the project and
> could have influenced them to stop it, but didn't try to do that) had
> too little understanding of what emotions this film would trigger, and
> what this could potentially lead to. (I don't think that any of these
> people would have desired to cause the quite predictably possible, huge
> negative impact on the ability of their country's ability to safeguard
> her interests and the interests of her citizens in relation to the
> countries where excessive reactions are likely!)

I agree with this. Lack of education is one of the reasons why some people
donot understand the seriousness / implication of a small clip that can
wound millions of people around the world.

On the other hand, an analogous but different lack of understanding
> obviously also exists in the countries where the excessive and
> even violent reactions are happening.
>
> Violence is not a solution and it must be condemned where ever that is. We
also should be careful about the content that has the potential to erupt
mass violence around the world not just one place, content that deeply
hurts not just thousands but millions of people. We donot need to filter
through key words and expensive algorithms/logistics to determine such
content, simple conscience and compassion for others is enough.

Greetings,