[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Matthias Pfeifer Freshmail info at freshmail.de
Wed Sep 19 06:24:23 EDT 2012

Hello Chaitanya.

>1. work out the reasonable measures that should be used to precede/prevent censorship without impeding >internet freedom (for governments and other controlling institutions)
>2. whether google/etc should be requested to 'process' the content that is uploaded - specially ones with words >targeting a particular community/religeon

Point 2 sounds like a censorship-tool to me. Additionally, techniques based on keywords were never a good idea
because its lack of knowledge the context. So, for example, google would need to run a team to review each clip or message which contains one or more of the "badwords". And who should build such a badword list?

I think that we have learned that such techniques just move a problem to another stage and the issue will never be solved.

Matthias