[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Sep 19 06:49:09 EDT 2012

On 19.09.12 13:24, Matthias Pfeifer Freshmail wrote:
> Hello Chaitanya.
> >2. whether google/etc should be requested to 'process' the content
> that is uploaded - specially ones with words >targeting a particular
> community/religeon
> Point 2 sounds like a censorship-tool to me. Additionally, techniques
> based on keywords were never a good idea
> because its lack of knowledge the context.

This is nicely illustrated by the recent "problem" with Apple censuring
the word Vagina in any text. That was apparently fully automated and
with "good intentions".

The issue with censorship is very serious. In this particular "global"
coverage of YouTube, there should be experts in about any culture
imaginable and it is certain there will be cases where some society's
members will be offended.

Restricting censorship to well known subjects/languages/cultures is
exactly what we have today: "If it doesn't sound offensive in my
language/English, then it's ok".

Censorship is what reduces our ability to learn in particular about
other cultures and views. It should not be encourages in any way. Which
is sort of easy today, because Internet let's censorship be avoided.

Daniel