[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 03:54:25 EDT 2012

I am not so sure I would go for global consensus on issues like this. It
is precisely difference that needs to be accommodated. It is one thing
for muslims to take umbrage at these matters, quite another to insist on
their extra-territoriality. Like others should "tolerate" muslims,
muslims need to tolerate the other as well - and here the function of
power matters... Like it is fine for France to ban Nazi memorobelia
(because of it is history and values) it should be ok for muslim
countries to take REASONABLE measures to protect their values in their
polity. But global law, I am not so sure...

The issue is however more complex than that... with the Rand Corporation
and the State Dept funding its version of Islam (so much for separation
of state and religion, with the usual Israeli exception in Western
discourse), and the retracted "Crusade", the context that muslims find
themselves in something else, perhaps much like that of Japanese in the
US during WWII.

FOE is a precious right, and essential to a meaningful polity, but that
does not mean there are no taboos... while egregious insults are
certainly contraindicated in many muslim societies there is also a
healthy historical tradition of satire and academic (or like critique)
of the sacred.

With the Western self-righteousness on this issue (notwithstanding
double standards i.e. everyone can build any religious house they like,
but not muslims in Switzerland for eg) it would be hard to get a
reasonable debate with the muslims (first for the west to understand the
relationship with the Prophet... and second for the muslims to
understand the historical trajectory of Western rights as against the
"Church")...

Let us also remember that the context of the Rushdie affair cannot be
ignored. This was a time when the US, UK and much of EU was
clandestinely and openly supporting WMD being used against Iranians. So
debarred from context, it is easy to talk about rights. In context, the
whole situation is fraught with difficulty...