[governance] Facebook and the nipplegate: New Yorker temporarily banned

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 03:42:16 EDT 2012

For me it is important not to conflate issues. It is one thing to have a
business model that relies on transparency - this is a virtuous circle.
But there is also the issue of business sense being made on "silent"
cooperation with govts. In general I am more with Nader's sentiments on
these matters... we need to identify if corporations are playing or
serving a public interest function... simply leaving things to the
market is not enough... that (self-supervision) was tried in the
financial sector and even the Oracle Alan Greenspan was "shocked" at the
behaviour of the Bankers (Atlas did not quite shrug given the idiotic
debates in the run up to the election in the US).

Human Rights values need to pervade public interest functions... scale
is good for companies, and there ought to be a quid pro quo on rights
after a certain point. It is banal to say leave the private sector to
its own devices, especially in contexts where they have market dominance
(rather than abusing dominant position)...