[governance] Re: Facebook and the nipplegate: New Yorker temporarily banned

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 21:17:40 EDT 2012

Trying to figure out which kind of censorship is worst or with more
perverse impact - if from government or from private companies - is simply
besides the point. Both must be denounced and fought.
This kind of differentiation reminds me of the old hierarchy of human
rights, whereby some argued that human right X is more important and
therefore violations of human right Y should not be addressed until
violations of X are fully protected against.

Furthermore, when it comes to free speech in a digital environment
completely controlled by private companies (I'm certainly not talking about
social networks alone), censorship practices that more often than not go
unnoticed (how do you learn about something that isn't there for you to
read/see) surely deserve everyone's full attention. A jail full of
dissidents is evidence of repression, but where's the evidence of thousands
of deleted posts and pictures? Twitter is for the most part alone in trying
to make content removal transparent.

Best,
Ivar