[governance] Re: Facebook and the nipplegate: New Yorker temporarily banned

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Sep 16 16:56:10 EDT 2012

Perhaps in analysing this it is worth looking at the range of unilateral
options that can be pursued by corporations or governments acting without
consultation to affect censorship. I am sure my list is not exhaustive, but
it includes

* national firewalls
* removing content from affected sites by complying corporations
* removing host servers from networks by complying nations or corporations
within nations hosting servers
* removing host names by registries or registrars in the nations hosting
such registries and registrars
* compliance following court orders within the country of citizenship of an
offending individual to remove offending material

These of course can all be in competing jurisdictions. And I only need to
get one of the above acting in my interest in blocking freedom of
expression, not all.