[governance] where did the 'mysterious' CIRP come from

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 27 00:48:48 EDT 2012

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in posting my promised more detailed response to the
Daily Mail article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2220692/How-India-helped-bunch-bureaucrats-custodians-Internet.html
. I just has to wait for the weekend to get some time for it.

The referred article builds over what has been made out by many actors,
including some on this elist, to look like (1) the CIRP proposal  was
pulled out from nowhere by a set of evil minded actors and suddenly
inflicted upon the world and (2) that CIRP is a proposal as devious as
no other, which is out to put the Internet under governmental CONTROL.
Both assertions are blatant propaganda and can easily be disproved by
facts, of course, only to the extent facts matter in the middle of
solid, well resourced, propaganda....

I sought to address the first of these issues in this email and the
second one in my next email. I thought it would be 7-8 points but
writing alternative history, against the dominant, 'normally' accepted
and solidly entrenched versions, I realised is not at all an easy task.
And so it is considerably longer than 7-8 points, whereby I considered
it advisable to put it as an enclosed document.

However, more that the history or the process of it, I am interested in
discussing what CIRP really is, and the hypocrisy of its major
detractors as they side with the current dominant mechanism of how the
Internet is being shaped as per the interests of the powerful. Vide the
enclosed, I have answered the questions that some had asked me on this
list. I hope they will be as willing to answer my forthcoming questions
(also asked often earlier) on substantive aspects of efforts at
democratising global Internet policy making versus the current
mechanisms that simply add power to the already most powerful. About
that shortly....

parminder

.