[governance] where did the 'mysterious' CIRP come from

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Oct 29 18:38:12 EDT 2012

On 27 Oct 2012, at 00:48, parminder wrote:

> <where did the CIRP come from.doc>

"
3. WSIS mandated the creation of an IGF, and, due to inconclusive negotiations, gave somewhat unclear recommendations on the needed mechanism for global Internet related policies. Basically, the unmistakable mandate was to discuss this issue further, with specific assertions that something that addresses the imperative of global Internet policies is certainly needed. The Tunis agenda is clear to this extent.
"

(repeating things i think I have said on this list before, but a while ago and in an earlier cycle of this conversation)

I contend that that Tunis Agenda was not at all unclear about this.
Rather the governments that did not want this
& got the General Assembly to ignore the Tunis Agenda on this issue.

And for various reasons, most of us
    (to their credit, not the best bits drivers)
 went along.

As I read the text,

67 calls for a forum in a general sense,
69 calls for the equal participation of governments (aka Enhanced Cooperation),
70 calls for the participation of existing IG organizations,
71 calls for UNSG initiation of a multistakeholder organization and
72 defines the forum called for in 67.

The IGF is the place for continuing discussions on Enhanced Cooperation.
I beleive that this is what the agreed upon language calls for,
but the GA et al.  nix'ed it.

I think the IGF is now mature enough to get it back on track.
The IGF has lingered long enough on finding its modalities and trust.

Now it is time it took on this responsiblity.

chers,

avri