[governance] In Multistakeholderism, those who would be Lobbyists become Legislators, & nobody else has a vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:02:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:

>  No.
>
> There is not only ONE stakeholder who becomes THE legislator - but there
> are MULTI stakeholders. In the absence and impossibility of taking
> universal votes on IG issues, I am not surprised about - and I share - the
> opinion of many that multi-stakeholder systems are the most practical ones
> that avoid that ONE stakeholder decides everything, and gives many opinions
> access to public discussion, even while decisions are organized not as a
> result of a vote in a multi-stakeholder forum.

The critical - and illegitimate - move in the above is to redefine
democratically elected representatives as merely ONE stakeholder among
many.  This radically demotes the only legitimate form of governance -
those that derive their authority from the consent of the governed via
elections - to just one voice among many (undemocratic) voices.

Yes, there are world governments that are not democratically elected so I
suppose this is one throws the democratic baby out with the undemocratic
bathwater in favor of an almost entirely undemocratic MS government system,
which is now called "governance" to effectively disguise its true nature.
As with all systems of government, those that like their chances in the
undemocratic system tend very highly to support it for all the "practical"
reasons Norbert Klein refers to in his use of the word "practical" above.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

> Norbert Klein
> Phnom Penh/Cambodia
>
> and dispense with all public elections and not only write the laws but
> pass them, enforce them, and in some cases even set up courts of
> arbitration that are usually conditioned on waiving the right to go to the
> court system set up by democracies.
>
> A vote is just a minimum requirement of justice. Without a vote, law is
> just force inflicted by the wealthy and powerful. Multistakeholderism is a
> coup d'etat against democracy by those who would merely be lobbyists in a
> democratic system.  So yes, I think it is misleading at best to use the
> word "democratic" in reference to multistakeholder systems.
>
> Paul R. Lehto, J.D.
> --
>  Paul R Lehto, J.D.
> P.O. Box 1