[governance] In Multistakeholderism, those who would be Lobbyists become Legislators, & nobody else has a vote

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Fri Oct 26 00:24:56 EDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 9:12 AM, Paul Lehto wrote:
> The subject line says it most succinctly: In Multistakeholderism,
> those who would be Lobbyists become Legislators, & nobody else has a
> vote.
>
> In a democracy, it is a scandal that lobbyists have so much influence
> that they even write the drafts of laws.  But in multistakeholder
> situations they take that scandal to a whole new level:  those who
> would be lobbyists in a democracy (corporations, experts, civil
> society) become the legislators themselves,

No.

There is not only ONE stakeholder who becomes THE legislator - but there
are MULTI stakeholders. In the absence and impossibility of taking
universal votes on IG issues, I am not surprised about - and I share -
the opinion of many that multi-stakeholder systems are the most
practical ones that avoid that ONE stakeholder decides everything, and
gives many opinions access to public discussion, even while decisions
are organized not as a result of a vote in a multi-stakeholder forum.

Norbert Klein
Phnom Penh/Cambodia