[governance] Interesting story of the never ending ICANN Conflict of Interest. This time on .africa?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Oct 15 11:50:36 EDT 2012

Louis,

On Oct 15, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Louis Pouzin (well) <pouzin at well.com> wrote:
> As you know ICANN has been constantly extending delays and postponing deadlines in the new extensions process.

I personally think delaying the process instead of moving forward when there is guaranteed breakage.

> No wonder ICANN did collect money up front. They expected to lock their pigeons in a safe cage.

Or, there are upfront costs that ICANN might need to recover.

> Btw, as far as I remember, in its early days ICANN toyed with some sort of auction or lottery for domain names. Apparently the idea was shelved, because illegal in California.

I thought the main reason against doing auctions was that it would severely disadvantage folks without a potentially unbounded money supply.

Regards,
-drc