[governance] Interesting story of the never ending ICANN Conflict of Interest. This time on .africa?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Oct 24 05:10:29 EDT 2012

Replying to an email of Riaz Tayob's - posted in the archives -

As far as I can see dotconnectafrica shot themselves in their own foot by first
bidding for the wrong TLD, and then launching an extremely vitriolic attack
campaign against anybody at all they saw as opposed to their interests.

This on circleid for example was the first I heard of this group and their
campaign, and it failed to impress me right at the start.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/is_africa_ready_for_a_dotafrica_gtld_future/
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121008_icann_africa_strategy_a_new_approach_to_africa/

Anything at all more on this issue will have to be seen from the prism of
dueling commercial interests, one of which has apparently lost out but is still
aggressively claiming victory.

This article says it all -
http://domainincite.com/9802-dotconnectafrica-disconnected-from-reality

thanks
--srs

On 2012/10/12 04:11 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch wrote:

> the claims are vague enough to be consistent with "one more turn of the
> extortion screw",

Whatever does this mean?