[governance] Re: Principles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 2 08:18:25 EDT 2012

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks for taking up this discussion on democracy vrs MSism . It is most
needed.

Like many others here I react with horror about any assertion of MSism
being the pinnacle of participatory democracy, or as Matthias K puts it,
approvingly, MSism being post democratic (something I have been saying
as an aspersion on MSism).

Let me use the schema I employed to describe to an government official
recently what my vision of an appropriate IGF is. This was with regard
to developing an India IGF model...

  This is how I described to him. I can see the (continued) progression
of democracy in three versions. Version 1.0 was when elected officials
assumed full authority to legislate and execute, once they were elected,
without any reliance on any axillary democratic processes of public
consultations. Ministries were steeped in deep secrecy and considerable
aloofness from the public.

Ver 2.0 begun when elected officials started to employ some processes of
democracy beyond elections, like undertaking public consultation on
various legislative proposals, stakeholder consultations with those
directly affected by any governmental measure, forming ad hoc or
standing committees with civil society and outside expert
participations, instituting right to information legislations  etc.....
However, at this stage, public participation was still largely ad hoc,
mostly on the terms of the government, and largely not institutionalised.

Ver 3.0 of democracy (and ver 2.0 of participatory democracy) is about
strong institutionalisation of means and processes of participation
(outside of elections) in an ongoing manner, whereby the agenda of such
participation can be set with a greatly curtailed influence of the
government, if any, the processes are largely out of control of
governments and so on. It is independently institutionalised, funded,
legitimised, etc. However, there is never a doubt that actual policy
making authority remains with representative democratic bodies (how much
improvement they my need which is to be pursued at another level). There
has always to be sufficiently clear difference between institutions of
participation, while they have to made as strong and inclusive as
possible,  and those of legislation and execution. I support Norbert's
recent assertions in this regard.

Well, this is how I said I see UN IGF normatively as. A path breaking
innovation in global democracy denoting Ver 3.0 of democracy, which
should also be replicated at national levels.

Now, this Democracy 3.0 model is not necessarily an invention of the the
IG space. A lot of theoretical and practical work in the area of
institutionalising participatory democracy has been done, especially
over the last decade or two.  John Gaventa's work, especially on invited
versus invented spaces of participation, comes to mind in this regard.
There is also the famous Porto Alegre initiative of institutionalising
public participation, through participatory budget exercises.  Lately
ICTs have been used in Porto Alegre and other places to improve the
ambit and effectiveness of participation. So, yes, ICTs do provide what
is perhaps a transformational new context to possibilities of
institutionalising participation.

As said, I see/ saw UN IGF as a Democracy 3.0 experiment, which however
has now increasingly being high-jacked by special interests, largely in
aid of global digital corporates. Unfortunately, MS-ism instead of being
another name for Democracy 3.0 as some people here are trying to argue,
has, in practice, mostly represented everything which seems going wrong
with the IGF, and other new age information society policy mechanisms.

It is bit surprising that in this very interesting discussion on
relationship or difference between democracy and MSism, no one has
pointed to the elephant in the room. It is of course the growing
economic, social and political power of mega corporates, and how a good
amount of MSism in practice is a front for political legitimisation of
corporatist power in ordering our societies. The article at
http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/how-google-lobbies-german-government-over-internet-regulation-a-857654-druck.html
on how Google has infiltrated most 'participatory processes' in and
around Germany's IG space makes the case rather eloquently. Then one
reads how 84 out of 108 Google lobbyists in the US are ex gov employees
and what influence it exercises on the behaviour of expectant government
officials still in service (http://keionline.org/node/1555 ). And now,
in Brazil, we find that Google thinks that it has some kind of
independent jurisdictional status whereby it can decide what to do or
not do with national laws, using its Internet based powers, including by
making backhanded appeals to users
(http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/thompson/2012/09/27/on-the-arrest-of-googles-head-in-brazil/
).

The institutionalisation of participatory spaces and processes of
Democracy 3.0 needs to be done with no less care then was done in the
case of basic representative democracy. It needs similar building of
values, norms and highest principles, and also, most importantly,
safeguards against capture. Unfortunately most adherents of MSism are
averse to any deep discussions on these issues. And to me that is the
principal undoing of MSism.

Matthias, if you can critique current relevance of democracy citing the
difference between formal and material forms of democracy, maybe it is
also worthwhile to pay attention to difference between formal and
material aspects of MSism. Almost all the stuff I read about MSism in
such discussions as this one is about formal MSism, which is made to
look so good and inclusive. On the other hand, almost all of the
material reality that I see around me of MSism (in IG) is about a very
thinly veiled apology (and legitimisation) for growing political power
of mega global digital corporates. Also worth a PhD for someone I
suppose :) .

Parminder