[governance] Re: Need for strategic planning (was Re: Why Cell Phones Went Dead...)

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 21 05:18:11 EST 2012

Norbert Bollow [21/11/12 10:12 +0100]:
>This sounds to me as if you'd want to discourage anyone who is not a
>well-established and well-funded organization from even trying to
>engage in a discourse on the operationalization of big picture
>objectives.

Let us put it this way. I don't have a penny of funding. My employer does
not think a conference travel budget is in any way necessary for me to do
my job. Yet you see me here, but not, say, in Baku.

>Is this understanding of your words correct?

Would you like to revise your understanding based on my statement above? :)

For the record, no. If an organization or person engages in a discourse,
they need to be sufficiently informed about it before they do so, if they
intend the points they make to be taken seriously.

>public interest goals, and then build alliances around those objectives,
>and then coordinate strategy within those alliances (there's no point in
>trying to "coordinate strategy" with those who don't agree with your
>objective), and then request whatever funding is necessary to implement
>those strategies.

You'll find that it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation here. You need
funding to identify goals, meet with lots of organizations, gain consensus
etc.  And most of what you achieve will be from people who have a common
membership of multiple organizations.

Sure you need to coordinate strategy even with those that may not agree
100% with you, it is called consensus building.

	srs